Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Early Bird Gets No Breakfast at All

Last year I decided that I needed to get my arse out of bed and get to the gym before work if I was ever, well, going to get to the gym. I like working out in the morning for a few reasons. For one, the gym is far less crowded before work than after work. I also like the idea that I can just roll out of bed and throw on gym clothes rather than stand for 30 minutes in front of my closet deciding what to wear. But now that the weather has turned cold, and I mean bitterly cold, pulling myself out from under the electric blanket has been difficult, to say the least.

Today, the New York Times reports on a study that says exercising in the morning, before eating, can help keep off the holiday pounds. It's not just working out in the morning that's beneficial, it's working out in a "fasted state." I've always assumed I need to eat a little something in the morning in order to power through my workout, but I'm always struggling to figure out what that little something should be. Perhaps I need nothing at all.

Of course, this study was conducted with men. That doesn't always translate well for women. But hey, I'll give up my pre-workout granola bar if it means I can fit in the same size pants after Christmas.

For more on the study, read Phys Ed: The Benefits of Exercising Before Breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment