Friday, December 3, 2010

The Ugly Truth

I was talking to a co-worker of mine about Weight Watchers. I know, everyone has had tremendous success with the program and it seems rather foolproof. Except for me. My co-worker said that she likes the plan because being weighed weekly at a meeting holds her accountable. I told her that I would simply skip the meetings during the weeks when I knew I didn't lose any weight or worse, gained. She gave me one of those looks that said volumes without words.

And then it hit me.

This is my MO. I avoid. If I don't like what I'm going to see/hear/feel I just simply avoid it. Which is why, after nearly 2 months, I haven't written a single blog post. Instead of using this as a means to hold myself accountable for my actions, I simply avoid it altogether.

The problem is, the weight started piling back on. After losing about 13 pounds, I suffered a minor injury that was causing pain in my ankle. I was told not to workout and stop wearing heels for awhile. Ballet flats at work posed no major issue. Not working out could be my downfall. And it was a tiny thing that caused a total setback. Once I stopped at the gym, I started eating more. I had convinced myself that if I couldn't workout why eat right? A ridiculous thought. My health is not an all-or-nothing concept. When I finally returned to the gym I hopped on the scale to find I had gained back 3 lbs. That's a lot when all you've lost is 13 lbs. in the first place.

So I'm pushing myself to get back on track. I packed a healthy lunch today. I have a big glass of water sitting next to me and my gym clothes are in the car. And I'm writing a blog post that makes me admit I avoid the ugly truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment