Monday, January 24, 2011

I Never Liked to Exercise, But I Liked Results

Jack LaLanne died today. He was 96. I was listening to an interview he had done a number of years ago on NPR on my drive home. At 89 the father of the fitness movement still put in a two-hour workout first thing in the morning. This morning I dragged myself out of bed, did 30 minutes on the elliptical, a few weights and called it a day. Pathetic. More pathetic because I'm only 35.

LaLanne may have had some eye-roll inducing catch-phrases like "ten seconds on the lips, a lifetime of the hips," but today I heard him say something that truly resonated with me - "I never liked to exercise, but I liked results." I'm tired of hearing from all the celebrity trainers and fitness converts who say they love exercise. It makes it sound like if you don't, you're screwed. Here's a guy who devoted his life to fitness, not because he loved working out, but because he loved his body as a result. And to achieve those results, he said it takes discipline. Those are some inspiring words.

RIP to a ripped Jack LaLanne.

No comments:

Post a Comment