Thursday, July 29, 2010

Turns Out, Chicken Isn't So Good After All

Last spring I went through a couple weeks where I gave up all meat with the exception of seafood. I don't eat a lot of meat to begin with. Often I can go a day or two before I realize I haven't had any. I admit that I felt better, from both a health and a moral perspective. And yet, I've never been inclined to give it up 100%. But I was reading some new research that might encourage me to cut even more from the carnivore side of my diet. A new study shows that the link between consuming meat and gaining weight remains strong - for those who consume red meat AND white meat. In fact, people gained about 4 more pounds over a five-year period for every extra 250 grams of meat they ate daily.

Read the whole study on NPR at:
Eating More Meat, White Or Red, Is Bad For The Waistline

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the article link Tricia! I think that Michael Pollan's point (In Defense of Food)--that when we do choose to eat meat, we should think of it as a side dish or a garnish rather than the main item--is a good additional thought to point out.

    ReplyDelete